People living in the city are always on the go and have places to be. For many, walking is the easiest answer to get to their destinations. While people operating motor vehicles are supposed to yield right of way to pedestrians, this doesn’t always happen. Negligence and poor decision making can result in devastating injuries for pedestrians.
If you or a loved one has been injured while walking due to someone else’s negligence, your injuries may prevent you from doing your job and enjoying your everyday life. This undue stress shouldn’t fall solely on your shoulders. A Vancouver pedestrian accident lawyer from Wishart Brain & Spine Law can help get you the compensation you deserve. We proudly represent the citizens of Vancouver and will do all we can to stand up for your rights.
Vancouver Pedestrian Accident Statistics
While you may think that pedestrian accidents don’t happen that often, there is still a large amount of people hurt each year. The Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC) reported on crash statistics in British Columbia from 2012-2016. The following data is the five-year average of the crashes.
- There were 2,700 incidents involving pedestrians.
- 2,600 were injured.
- There were 61 fatalities.
Vancouver Island has its own specific data:
- 360 incidents.
- 340 pedestrians were injured.
- Vancouver Island had 9 pedestrian fatalities.
Vancouver has its fair share of pedestrian accidents. All it takes is for someone to not pay attention to what they’re doing and hit a pedestrian. According to the Motor Vehicle Act, pedestrians in BC always have right of way, even when there aren’t traffic control signals. It’s also noted that pedestrians need to cross when drivers have time to yield right of way.
Pedestrian Accident Injuries
Pedestrians can sustain major injuries or can die because they have next to no protection in an accident. These injuries may require hospitalization, rehabilitation, and a long recovery. Some injuries could possibly affect the rest of the person’s life.
- Head and Traumatic Brain Injuries. Some of the major injuries to look out for are brain swelling, cracked skulls, or concussion. These need immediate medical attention. While some concussions can be mild, some can affect cognition and other brain functions.
- Broken Bones, Fractures, Sprains. The impact of a car crash, hitting an object, or being slammed to the ground can break bones. Some people may try to catch themselves and sprain a wrist or an ankle.
- Back and Spine Injuries. Broken vertebrae may result in paralysis or limited function. If permanent, the person will have to adjust to a new way of life.
Some injuries could need surgery or the aid of prosthetics or assistive devices. Going through a traumatic experience could also have effects on a person’s mental health. Some may experience issues with memory or major changes in mood. They could develop post traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), anxiety, or depression and need a mental health care professional for counseling. These sessions can get expensive and there’s no definitive way to know the amount of therapy the person needs because everyone is different.
What Damages Could You Receive with Your Claim?
You may be wondering if filing a claim is worth it. Your injuries can become expensive to take care of and may prevent you from working. Your pedestrian accident lawyer can help you recover damages that will cover these bills.
- Medical Expenses. You can get compensation for hospital bills, tests, and prescriptions that you’ve needed because of your injuries. It can also cover any future medical bills you will get.
- Pain and Suffering. You can get damages for pain and suffering because the driver’s negligence is what injured you and these injuries can be painful or make life difficult for you.
- Lost Wages. One of the most frustrating things about injuries is that they can keep you from work. You can start to stress about missing work and the reliable pay schedule. With the help of a lawyer, you can recover those damages.
- Loss of Earnings. In some cases, your injuries could leave you unable to do your job permanently. Your compensation can cover the earnings you would have gotten had you been able to work.
When you’re trying to juggle a recovery from an accident and the financial stress of not being able to work, you can get overwhelmed. Your lawyer will be the person to handle these issues for you. They can also be the main point of contact so you don’t have to deal with harassing calls from insurance adjusters. Hiring a lawyer truly puts someone in your corner for the whole process.
Get Help from a Vancouver Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
A pedestrian vs. motor vehicle accident claim can be stressful to handle on your own. You may feel pressure to settle early so the matter is resolved, but this could make you end up with an unfavorable settlement. With the help of a Vancouver pedestrian accident lawyer from Wishart Brain & Spine Law, you can rest assured that an experienced and compassionate professional is looking out for your best interests. Our tenacity and drive to get you the most favorable settlement is what sets us apart from the rest.
You deserve to be treated with respect and to get compensation for your injuries. Get in touch with us today at 1-855-WISHART to speak to one of our lawyers about the merits of your case. We’ll work together to find the right course of action for you.